Monday, January 4, 2010

Avatar: To see or not to see

So the blockbuster of the hour:  still Avatar.  It’s all anyone talked about at lunch the first day back.  The graphics are supposed to be mind-blowing, incredible, but the story looks lame and played.  My boss, the most fidgety person in the world, said it completely drew him in and he was absorbed for the 162 minutes.  That’s the best recommendation I’ve heard for it frankly, considering it has melded its advertising with McDonald’s Big Mac.  A truly global marketing campaign, but is it really a film?  My boyfriend is playing the purist and hates computer generated graphics anyway, so he says “No way!  I’m boycotting just because it’s receiving so much credit for looking cool, without actually having a good story.”  Everyone else says “it’s worth it, but you have to see it in 3D” (the diehard VFX guys say IMAX is the only way to go).  I don’t know.  I know I will end up seeing it, just because I need to keep current, but it’s depressing that they spent 10 years making a movie and couldn’t come up with a story that is as fresh and original and the graphics are supposed to be.  Maybe I just need to see a different trailer... Oh well, on the other hand, if you spend 10 years making a movie, you better pick a timeless plot I guess, or it will be outdated before you’ve hardly begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment