Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Kodak Portra Film + Canon AE-1


Link to buy 5 pack on Amazon
So I don't normally geek out about cameras, film, lenses, or any of that stuff on this blog.  I mostly stay focused on media consumption not production.  However, I wanted to do a post on Kodak Portra film because I have been using it lately with my mother's old Canon AE-1 with its 50 mm most likely stock lens and the results are just awesome.  I first received the camera from her to take with me to Paris for study abroad.  I didn't have a SLR camera of any kind and she had long since moved on to something better, so she lent me hers and she never got it back.  I love the ethereal quality of the images I get with it.  Even though I normally shoot on a DSLR now (film and developing are so expensive!), I bought a bunch of film in bulk on Amazon including some Ilford black and white film and this Kodak Portra 400 film.

As the name clearly indicates, it's meant for taking portraits because it has a fine grain and good skin tone reproduction, but I have found that the colors are gorgeous for landscapes, cityscapes, and just about anything.  Here's some of my results from some summer trips to Portland and Santa Barbara, straight from the film scan, no retouching.  I'll post more images from these trips in the coming weeks.
Hana Ripperger-Suhler Photography

Hana Ripperger-Suhler Photography

Hana Ripperger-Suhler Photography

Hana Ripperger-Suhler Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment