Friday, March 16, 2012

More FIlms at SXSW

Thursday I checked out Ernst Lubitsch's classic silent comedy The Oyster Princess with a live score composed and performed by Bee vs. Moth at the Alamo Ritz downtown.  While I liked the idea of live music accompaniment, I didn't really like the music that much.  The film was funny, but I much prefer "talkies" I suppose.  I hustled my dad and brother to the airport and headed back up towards town in time to grab a sub from Thunderclouds before catching Martha Stephens' Pilgrim Song at the Alamo Lamar.  Thunderclouds wasn't as good as I had remembered, I think in large part due to the bread.  Bread makes a sandwich and if the bread is only so-so...  On a positive note, I enjoyed film and thought it was well done.  Finally, I met up with the rest of the family for the Narrative Feature jury prize winner Gimme the Loot at the Stateside Theater.  Thus concludes my film watching at SXSW and I was really happy to get to see all the films I saw, even though a lot of them were films I would never have sought out on my own.  All in all, I had a great experience at the festival and I would love another opportunity to mix work, play, and family in good ole Austin, TX.

No comments:

Post a Comment